Saturday, October 4, 2008

Resources for hairdressers

I often find myself repeating the quote about apprentices, "you are only as good as your master". I use this as an explanation for the number of unhappy customers coming to me, to have their haircut fixed. The idea being, that if the person teaching you didn't learn it, then they are never going to be able to teach you. I find that unless you have found the "Guru" of all haircuts, like a Vidal Sassoon, then you need to have a variety of masters, or resources , from which to learn your craft. Hairdressing seems to be a young mans (or woman's) job. I am a mature hairdresser at 31, despite the likelihood that I will need to work for another 40 years. Every time our industry loses another experienced stylist or colourist, without that person passing on all their knowledge, the information pool gets smaller.
One of my clients mentioned the other day , that she hadn't realised the depth of her knowledge on a topic, until she had to teach someone else. I find that true for me also. I can be quite analytical and have lots of rules, but I always have a reason for the way I do things. This will be my attempt at compiling some of the things I have learned in my 11 years in the industry. Also, I will be able to list all my resources for inspiration and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment